Claudia Anne Stevens Teaching Artist
(a) Professional Preparation
- Master’s in Art, Illustration, San Josḗ State University, CA, 1999
- Graduate work, Science Illustration/Writing, University of California-Santa Cruz, 1991
- Certificate, Fine Art, University of California-Santa Cruz, 1990
- BA, Fine Art, University of California-Santa Cruz, 1989
- One year program, emphasis in Science Illustration and Writing, 1991.
- Internship – Wilson Botanical Gardens, San Vito, Costa Rica, Science Illustration and Writing Graduate Course University of California-Santa Cruz, Science Communication, 1991.
- One year certificate program, emphasis in printmaking, University of California-Santa Cruz, Art, 1990.
(c) Teaching Experience – clients include
- 1990 – Present, Artist in Residency Programs – Arts Council, Santa Cruz County Public Schools, California, Mixed Media (Drawing, Painting, Clay) Art Instructor
- 1996 – Present, Spring Hill Advanced Elementary School – Santa Cruz, California, Art Instructor
- 2017 – Present, Aptos High School – Aptos, California, Art Instructor
- 2018 Polar Marine Diatom Workshop – Iowa Lakeside Lab, Milford, Iowa, Biological Illustration
- 2014 -2016 Cabrillo College Stroke Center – Aptos, California, Ceramics Program
5 Relevant PUBLICATIONS
- Academic Press Hand Book of Marine Mammals, p. 38, 2010 Bernd Wursig, Ph.D. and Marc Webber, Ph.D. 2010, ISBN: 978-0-12-373723-6 Page 38
- Introduction to Biology – College Text Archipelago Distributed Learning, various authors, 1999 Harcourt College Publications, ISBN 9781582620268
- Lewis and Clark Mountain Wilds, Sharon Anelia Ritter, pp. 28, 43, 51 – 56, 67, 133, 193 – 196, 251 (first page of each chapter), 2002 Idaho University Press, ISBN 0-89301-258-0
- Sunset Magazine, “Win the War Against Weeds,” Sharon Cohoon, pg. 100-103, April, 2001 Sunset Publishing, ISSN 0039-5404
- Horticulture Magazine, Volume XCV; Number 4; April 1998, “A Taste for Weeds,” pp. 68-74, Wayne Winterrowd, 1998 Horticulture Publishing, ISSN-0018-5329
5 More Relevant PUBLICATIONS
- Notes to Myself, Hugh Prather, 1990 Bantam Books, ISBN 0-55334864-7
- Backpacker’s Magazine, “Season of the Sneeze,” p. 20, Dennis Scholl, 1990 Rodale Press
- Educational Signs (4’ by 5’) Displayed along Capitola Beach, Capitola, CA and the San Lorenzo River Park, Santa Cruz, CA, 1994
- Organic Gardening Magazine, “Soulful Salads,” pg. 37 – 40 Linda 1991 Eckhardt, 1989 Rodale Press
- Science World, “The Tongass,” pg. 3 – 9 Melissa Blouin, 1991 Scholastic Inc … and more
Claudia frequently undertakes natural history illustration work for scientific periodicals, editorials, as well as literary trade book cover illustration and natural history illustration. She has a large collection of originals, prints and hand painted wall hangings, as well as an extensive line of self published fine art note cards.
- 2014, Salvia mellifera, Filoli Estate Gardens, Woodside, CA
- 2013, Salvia columariae, Filoli Estate Gardens, Woodside, CA
- 2013, Rubus ursinus, Helen Crocker Russel Library of Horticulture, San Francisco Botanical Gardens, CA
- 2013, Twenty Botanical Works, Pacific Grove Art Center, Pacific Grove, CA (Solo)
- 2011, Twelve Botanical Works, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA (Solo)
- 2010, Ten Botanical Works, Arboretum, University at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA (Solo)
- 2009, Local Natives, Costanoa Resort, Half Moon Bay, CA (Solo)
- 2001, Beaufortia, Triton Museum, San Jose , CA (Invitational)
- 1991, Sand Bottlebrush, Natural History Museum, Santa Cruz, CA
- 1990, Tidepool, Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO
One hundred wholesale accounts including: Compass Books – San Francisco Airport, Monterey Historic Parks, Eastern Sierra Interpretive Association (ESIA), Georgia O’Keeffe Education and Retreat Center, Henry Cowel Park, Hoyt Arboretum, Monterey Museum of Art (MMA), Mono Lake Committee, Multnoma Falls Lodge, New Leaf Markets, Sloat Garden Centers, Vista House, Berkeley Horticulture, Bookshop Santa Cruz and more.
- 1990 – present “Artist in Schools” Residency grants Arts Council, Santa Cruz, CA
- 2010 Creative Work Fund, San Francisco, CA (Haas Fund and Hewlett and Irvine Foundation)
- 1990 Presidential Fellowship, UCSC, Santa Cruz, CA
- 1990 Chancellor Awared UCSC, Santa Cruz, CA
(e) Synergistic Activities
Claudia Stevens is a classically trained botanical painter with over thirty years of experience working with a variety of media on a variety of subjects. Her work is widely published in books and magazines and she is also an educator for both children and adults. Through the ability to share her work with the public, in her publications and hands-on teaching, Claudia Stevens, (teaching artist) shares an educational component to her work in unison with her classes.
When she is not painting you can find her traveling, backpacking in the mountains or tending her wild country garden.