Claudia Anne Stevens Teaching Artist
(a) Professional Preparation
- Master’s in Art, Illustration/Painting, San Josḗ State University, CA, 1999
- Completed a one year graduate program in Science Communications, University of California-Santa Cruz, 1991
- Certificate in Printmaking, University of California-Santa Cruz, 1990
- Bachelor in Fine Arts, University of California-Santa Cruz, 1989
- 1991 Science Communications – Professional training in biological illustration, University of California-Santa Cruz, a total of two years undergraduate and graduate work.
- 1991 Internship – Wilson Botanical Gardens, San Vito, Costa Rica Rain Forest, Science Illustration and Writing Graduate Course, University of California-Santa Cruz, Science Communication
(c) Teaching Experience – clients include
- 2021 University of California Berkeley, OLLI program – Nature Journaling – Botanical Drawing
- 2021 California State University of Monterey Bay, OLLI program – Nature Journaling – Botanical Drawing
- 1990 – Present, Artist in Residency Programs – Arts Council, Santa Cruz County Public Schools, California
- 2018 Polar Marine Diatom Workshop – Biological Illustration Iowa Lakeside Lab, Milford, Iowa
8 Relevant PUBLICATIONS
- Natural History Magazine, “Antarctic Diatoms” Amy Leventer, pg. 22 – 27, March 2020, Natural
History (ISSN 0028-0712).
- Orion Magazine, “Song of the Diatom” Amy Leventer, pg. 44 – 51, June 2020, Orion (ISSN
- Artist Magazine, “Hidden in Plain Sight” pg. 8 – 11 Allison Malafronte: Jn 2021 Artist Magazine
- Academic Press Hand Book of Marine Mammals, p. 38, 2010 Bernd Wursig, Ph.D. and Marc Webber, Ph.D. 2010, ISBN: 978-0-12-373723-6 Page 38.
- Introduction to Biology – College Text Archipelago Distributed Learning, various authors, 1999 Harcourt College Publications, ISBN 9781582620268.
- Lewis and Clark Mountain Wilds, Sharon Anelia Ritter, pp. 28, 43, 51 – 56, 67, 133, 193 – 196, 251 (first page of each chapter), 2002 Idaho University Press, ISBN 0-89301-258-0.
- Sunset Magazine, “Win the War Against Weeds,” Sharon Cohoon, pg. 100-103, April, 2001 Sunset Publishing, ISSN 0039-5404.
- Horticulture Magazine, Volume XCV; Number 4; April 1998, “A Taste for Weeds”, pp. 68-74, Wayne. Winterrowd, 1998 Horticulture Publishing, ISSN-0018-5329.
2 More Relevant PUBLICATIONS
- Notes to Myself, Hugh Prather, 1990 Bantam Books, ISBN 0-55334864-7. (Over 3 million copies sold.)
- Backpacker’s Magazine, “Season of the Sneeze,” pg. 20, Dennis Scholl, 1990 Rodale Press.
- 2020 – 90th Annual statewide California Landscapes Exhibition, Art League, Santa Cruz, CA.
- 2006 – Present one hundred wholesale accounts, including California State Parks
- 2014 – Salvia mellifera, Filoli Estate Gardens, Woodside, CA
- 2013 – Salvia columariae, Filoli Estate Gardens, Woodside, CA
- 2013 – Rubus ursinus, Helen Crocker Russel Library of Horticulture, San Francisco Botanical Gardens, CA
- 2013 – Twenty Botanical Works, Pacific Grove Art Center, Pacific Grove, CA (Solo)
- 2011 – Twelve Botanical Works, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA (Solo)
- 2010 – Ten Botanical Works, Arboretum, University at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA (Solo)
- 2001 – Beaufortia, Triton Museum, San Jose , CA (Invitational)
- 1990 – Tidepool, Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO
- 2020 – Friends of Natural History Foundation, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina for the
- 2010 – Creative Work Fund, San Francisco, CA (Haas Fund and Hewlett and Irvine Foundation)
- 1990 – Presidential Fellowship, UCSC, Santa Cruz, CA
- 1990 – Chancellor Awared UCSC, Santa Cruz, CA
- 1990 – present “Artist in Schools” Residency grants Arts Council, Santa Cruz, CA
(e) Synergistic Activities
Claudia Stevens is a classically trained botanical painter and biological illustrator. Her work is widely published in books and magazines and she is also an educator for both children and adults. Through the ability to share her work with the public, in her publications and hands-on teaching, Claudia Stevens, (teaching artist) shares an educational component to her work in unison with her classes.